In class we watched the Biography video Vincent Van Gogh: A Stroke of Genius. Unfortunately this video is not available for free anywhere online. It is, however, possible to answer these questions without watching the video. There is a ton of information about this artist available online, everything from YouTube to Wikipedia to sites dedicated specifically to the artist. Additionally the library has quite a bit of information if you prefer books to digital.
To make up the assignment, answer the questions below and then turn in your responses.
- What was the name of Vincent’s brother, the one relative he was close to and who supported Vincent and his art?
- How would you describe Vincent’s personal life? Give two examples to back up your opinion.
- Name three places Vincent lived.
- What foreign art style influenced Vincent van Gogh?
- Van Gogh’s paintings changed over time, but they were always about the same things. Who or what did Van Gogh make art about?
- Why did Vincent cut off his ear?
- To what artistic movement did Vincent belong?
- Name two other jobs Vincent held, besides being an artist.
- Name two other artists Vincent was acquainted with.
- How do we know so much about Vincent, his painting, and his life?
- How many paintings did Van Gogh sell during his life?
- What motivated Van Gogh to take his own life?