About This Year’s AP Exams
Students remain eager to take AP Exams and to have a chance to earn credit and placement. We surveyed 18,000 AP students and 91% indicated they want to complete this important step, urging us not to cancel this opportunity they have been working toward.
We’ll continue to support students with free resources through exam day. And while we encourage students to wait until closer to the test date to decide, any student already registered for an exam can choose to cancel at no charge.
The AP Program will invest heavily over the next month in the following ways:
- For the 2019–20 exam administration only, students can take a 45-minute online exam at home. Educator-led development committees are currently selecting the exam questions that will be administered.
- AP curricula are locally developed and we defer to local decisions on how best to help students complete coursework. To be fair to all students, some of whom have lost more instructional time than others, the exam will only include topics and skills most AP teachers and students have already covered in class by early March.
- Colleges support this solution and are committed to ensuring that AP students receive the credit they have worked this year to earn. For decades, colleges have accepted a shortened AP Exam for college credit when groups of students have experienced emergencies.
- Students will be able to take these streamlined exams on any device they have access to—computer, tablet, or smartphone. Taking a photo of handwritten work will also be an option.
- We recognize that the digital divide could prevent some low-income and rural students from participating. Working with partners, we will invest so that these students have the tools and connectivity they need to review AP content online and take the exam. If your students need mobile tools or connectivity, you can reach out to us directly to let us know.
Test security is a concern.
- The exam questions are designed and administered in ways that prevent cheating; we use a range of digital security tools and techniques, including plagiarism detection software, to protect the integrity of the exams.
- Scoring at-home work for an AP Exam is not new to the AP Program. For years the AP Program has received and scored at-home student work as part of the exams for the AP Computer Science Principles and AP Capstone courses.
The selected art periods being test are:
Global Prehistory (we covered it)
Ancient Mediterranean (Greece, Egypt, Rome, we covered it)
Early Europe and Colonial Americas through 1750 (we covered it)
Late Europe and Americas through 1980 (NEED TO COVER STILL)
Indigenous Americas (NEED TO COVER STILL)
Art of Africa (we covered it)
Guys, this is VERY doable :) Starting Wednesday next week, I will start giving you info on how we can get you prepared for this. WE CAN STILL GET YOU COLLEGE CREDIT! A 45 min online test you can take on your phone HAS to be easier than the 4 hour ordeal you would traditionally face… and I would guess its all multiple choice, and graded easy.
I definitely want you to take care of yourself and your family first. But if your quarantine is holding, and your family is doing ok… let’s get you some college credit. For real.