There are really two reasons we do Tableaux Vivant. The first is to make you truly consider what the important details of an artwork are – if someone could only show you a select detail or two, what would those details need to be so that you would recognize your artwork. The second reason is to help create a lasting impression of that artwork in your mind. Something you have role-played and strategized out is highly likely to stick with you.
OK, there is a third reason; it is way goofy and it makes me laugh.
- You are to create a tableaux vivant of an artwork of your choice. Any artwork from our course slide list is fair game.
- Remember that a tableaux vivant is about creating a “living picture” using real people, appropriate props, and appropriate settings.
- You are to NOT tell Mr. Elam what you have selected, nor in any way reveal your decision until the actual viewing of your tableaux vivant. Avoid giving clues, asking obvious questions, etc.
- Your selection and performance must be PG and school appropriate.
- You may work with anyone you wish but only you will receive a grade for your tableaux vivant. For example Jackie may decide to recruit 3 people from class to help her do her tableaux vivant, but only Jackie will get a grade; the other 3 people are each responsible for submitting their own idea.
- You will need to secure your own props. They need to be school appropriate.
More difficult works to reproduce are given more leeway, corresponding with the difficulty. More simple works are held to greater scrutiny, as there is less to work with.
The background matters just as much as any other component of the artwork.
This is about reproducing an artwork using what is at hand. It is not about sticking your head through a photo of an artwork. It is not about taking a picture of a flower and calling it an O’keefe. These methods do not allow for the demonstration of the student’s understanding of the artwork and goes against the spirit of the assignment.
Your tableaux vivant is due Monday, May 23rd , by 11:00 p.m. This is a formative grade.
You are to submit your tableaux vivant digitally. Be sure to include your name in the file name for easy identification. You may turn in your work via dropbox, portable external drive, or email.
If your performance needs special considerations, the let me know in advance (but always trying to not let me know what you are doing).
-The Tableaux Vivant Evaluation-
Each tableaux vivant will be graded regarding the following criteria:
- Recognizable. I do not want to know in advance what you are performing because I want your performance to be so dead-on that I can easily recognize it.
- Verisimilitude. Beyond just recognition, how correct and accurate is your performance.
- Appropriateness of props and background.
- Attention to detail (important details; iconography, etc.).
All of these will be shared in class, so….. yeah. Do good.